No products in the cart.
SOME SCREEN FREE GROSS MOTOR SKILLS AND ACTIVITIES FOR HOME.
Some Screen Free Gross Motor Skills and Activities for Home.
When children are home it is important that they participate in gross motor skills and activities every day. Gross motor skills are larger movement activities such as sitting, rolling, kneeling, crawling, walking, running, jumping, skipping and more! Many times when children are provided with independent, free play outdoors, they automatically participate in these types of skills. Other times when the weather is not cooperating or children have delayed motor skills they may need some guidance and directions to increase gross motor time.
Indoor Gross Motor Skills and Activities.
- Crawling or walking over different pillows or blankets.
- Tall kneel walking across the room to complete a puzzle.
- Practice walking like different animals. Need ideas? Check out Animal Actions A to Z.
- Try walking at different speeds – super slow, slow, normal, fast and super fast
- Jog or run in place
- Jump over a piece of paper
- Jump side to side over a shoe lace on the floor
- Jump up and down from a bottom step
- Rip scrap paper in half and jump from paper to paper.
- Play with cardboard boxes. Makes tunnels. Step in and out of the boxes. Try the Box Balance Game.
- Dance party
- Freeze Dance
- Make your body into the shapes of the letters of the alphabet
- Move Like Me – strike a pose and the other person mimics it.
- Make an indoor obstacle course
- Create a dance and teach it to someone else
- Indoor fitness – jumping jacks, mountain climbers, squat thrusts, etc.
- Yoga poses
- Jump over paper cups
- Put a small ball on top of a paper cup. Practice only kicking the ball off the cup without knocking the cup over.
- March to parade music.
- Do step ups using a small stool.
- Keep a balloon up in the air.
- Put painter’s tape on the floor or a rope. Walk forwards, sideways, and backwards on the rope.
- Climb stairs. Put stuffed animals at the top of the stairs, climb up to rescue them and walk back down to bring them back to you.
- Play Simon Says
- Take a blanket ride – pull someone on a blanket across the floor
- Load up laundry baskets with heavy books and push around the room. Pretend to be a traveling library.
- Use recycled water bottles and set up bowling. Bowl with a ball or roll into the bottles with your body.
- Play tug of war with a towel. Try playing in tall kneeling.
- Pretend to ice skate using paper plates.
- Sit on the floor and lift feet in the air. Pretend to ride a bicycle.
- Move like an animal in slow motion.
- Try catching a balloon on a funnel from your kitchen drawer.
- Hang a balloon from the ceiling and hit it with a cardboard tube.
- Kick a balloon against the wall and back again.
- Play with bean bags (make your own with rice inside socks if needed). Check out Beanbag Alphabet Fun.
Outdoor Gross Motor Skills and Activities at Home
- Ride a tricycle.
- Play hopscotch.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt or play outdoor bingo.
- Play hide and go seek.
- Explore and find 5 green objects.
- Play with a hula hoop.
- Ride a scooter.
- Play catch.
- Practice dribbling a ball.
- Kick a soccer ball.
- Make a sidewalk chalk obstacle course.
- Play a game of oversized memory matching – you have to squat and move around the cards.
- Go to the park.
- Play Summer Tic Tac Toe